Why I became Natural


These are the various reasons why I became Natural.

My Identity Crisis at 13. Let's just say at aged 13, I was going through a lot of self and life problems. And I wanted to know who I was.  A key moment, was the fact that I was so ashamed of my damaged hair, that I had no choice but to wear a weave that I didn't like. To make matters worse , I remember in year 9, a boy asked me why I had to wear weaves when he could see my Afro "new growth" growing out, saying That I looked ugly with the weave on. I should take the weave off!  By now my confidence was crushed. And I had a very low self esteem.

While finding myself I started thinking about my 'blackness' and stumbled upon the word 'Afrocentrism'


Pictures by Sara K.Golish

While attending a high school, where there were not a lot of black/mixed students. The students with Afro hair in my year wore their hair beautifully; one had an amazing Afro with the best curls and the other had the most gorgeous cornrows ever and somethings the best twist outs. They definitely inspired me and questioned my identity as an African black girl.

So while growing up, I had been always told to enjoy my teenage years. So this was my logic. If I started NOW, things might get better and easier when I grew older. As one of my favorite quote says 
'Do something today that your future self will thank you for'
Lastly I was sick and tired of planning my life around getting my hair done. In fact,I had to one time miss school because my hair was not done yet!! And I had to put extensions all the time. I also lived in an area where there was only ONE Afro hair shop at that time- which was very expensive.

To conclude, I went NATURAL because I wanted to be my AUTHENTIC self . I remember always dreaming of becoming an AFRICAN GODDESS/QUEEN with my real long and big hair when I got older..........
 And also I wanted getting a weave or braids to be a CHOICE  rather than a NECESSITY.

This is a deep conditioned (with honey) and blown out hair 
Am sure we all know the Health benefits as well- Free from harmful chemicals!! 

1 Comments

Post a Comment