Yarn Braids





So towards a month to my exams, I decided to get a protective style- super long yarn braids, and get them done MYSELF. 

 Inspired by Yagazie Emezi.

I used one whole bundle of yarn by The Women's Institute exclusive to Hobbycraft. The soft and smooth one. It is £10 (but £9 for students with Unidays)


The Yarn, I used was 100% acrylic. Do not used wool!! It will lock with your hair, making it hard to take out. Trust me!!


While crossing "my leg like a lady"- Yagazie Emezi, I measured the length from my big toe to my stretched arm. This took 4 hours for me. Used 9 strands of yarn per section.


Starting off with clean, deep conditioned (with honey) and blown out hair,


I began braiding the front section and around the perimeter of my head. This helped me to go out with a bun while the middle section was incomplete.


Only applied tea tree oil to my scalp and lightly finger detangled.
At first, I did find it difficult to braid my hair with the yarn, so I twisted my hair first and braided the twist with the yarn.
I parted each section in a "layering order", so that a gap would be covered by a braid.


Made sure my edges were not SNATCHED, by making my front sections quite large.


I didn't burn the ends because the yarn changed to a brown colour and smelled horrible. so I tied a knot with 2 strands around the ends of the braid, multiple times and tightly. Then I cut the rest of the strands off.

In total, it took me 3 evenings to complete...18 hours. As I had to revise during the day.


0 Comments