My Hair Horror Story




Recently I have been trying out natural soaps on my hair.The first soap I tried was dudu osun black soap (Check out my review). Because the smell of the osun was too strong for me. I decide to try Dr. Bronner's baby mild organic castile soap, which was lightly scented. Both soap had the same amazing effect on my hair, but in the mist of it all, my hair was literally turning white!

Here is some crash course chemistry lesson for you:
Soaps are made by reacting fat with lye SourceSo if you are using the shower and the water is hard, the minerals (such as calcium, magnesium etc.)  contained in the water will attach to the fats which are on your hair strains. Hence creating Soap scums!


So the more, I used the soap the greaser and sticky my hair felt and there was a build up of fat residue that I could not remove from my hair strains.

In addition, my hair because really itchy, (by the way I suffer from dandruff), But this one was bad. So I had waxy, greasy, flaky scalp, hence to why I had to wash my hair weekly. 

So one of the things I found out was natural soaps have a very high pH that is not very good for your hair as it lifts the cuticle Source- leaving the cortex of the hair shaft exposed Source. That is why it was advised to follow up with an Apple cider vinegar rinses to bring pH balance Source. The ACV also helps to remove the wax. It is also advised to dilute the soap with distilled water.
But it was too late. So I had to use a tressemé shampoo to strip my hair, resulting to very dry hair.

Advice

  • Dilute it with water (distilled) 
  • Do not use often. As I used it weekly.  
  • Make sure you have a strong shampoo to wash hair once every month. I will recommend -Shea Moisture's African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo. This helped me get rid of the residue and it is sulfate-free. 
  • Follow up with a ACV rinse
  • Use distilled water instead of hard water to wash hair. 

1 Comments

  1. :'( I never knew that!
    beautiful hair btw!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment