My Natural, Cheap and Cheerful Hair Essentials

Here are my Natural, Cheap and Cheerful hair essentials that I would recommend if you are going natural on a Budget (broke) and/or you live in a place where there are no Afro hair shops. Some I have been using for the past 3 years and the others I wish I knew earlier- would have made life easier.


  

Coconut Oil 

I use this for my hair, face and body. Love it. Caution, if you are prone to dandruff like moi. Do not apply on scalp. You might get flake city!

Water and Spray bottle 

With Water, I just use tap water.. I know its hard water but it really does not bother me. Would recommend distilled water, but it's your choice.
Tip: if you want your hair to smell lovely- use Rose water or add drops of essential oil like lavender oil or strawberry oil to the water.

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)

Warning (∩▂∩):  dilute with water. Mix this with my cheap shampoo. Helps to clean scalp and hair.

Silk/satin Scarf 

Help to give a sleek finish to your hair and preserves your hairstyle for longer. I wrap my hair with it and go to bed.
Tip(✿◠‿◠): Choose the scarf that has a silky-feel and slides smoothly as you run your hands through it. Bought mine from a thrift /charity shop. This can also be use for styling.

Flax Seed gel

Aka Linseed. I use the brown flax-seeds to make the gel. This is just a natural alternative to gels. As I don't like the feeling of product gels on my hair.

Tea tree oil

Mostly massage this into my scalp. Helps to stimulate hair growth and for a healthy scalp. Also helps to control dandruff.

Cheap shampoo and a LOT of cheap conditioner. 

'But shampoo has Sodium laureth sulfate?!'- I only use a little amount in my mix of warm water and ACV because I need the lather effect.  And I use this every 2 weeks/every month. But if you are very concerned, use a sulfate free shampoo- there are a lot out there. Would try them out in the future.
I alternate with different conditioners. Depends on which ones are on sale.

Here are the conditioners I have used.


Deep Treatment 

Here you have to consider if your hair likes protein treatments or not. I know eggs and mayonnaise don't do anything amazing to my hair- somethings it makes my hair hard and brittle, But oils (coconut oil), coconut milk and honey does wonders for my hair- as thy make my hair nice and soft.. Even Coconut oil and a lot of your regular conditioner works. I can recall back in my 2 years of being natural, Africa's Best Organics Hair Mayonnaise was great.
(∩▂∩) If you are using banana or avocado- please mesh and sieve them properly first- trust me, You don't want to get those pieces in your curls. (Based on my friend's experience)

Plastic bags 

Yeah,...Those bags you get from the grocery stores, are very useful. I use them to cover my hair during deep treatments- I use 2 bags for extra heat and I cover with a beanie. 
I also use them to neatly pack up and dispose all my shed hair.

Hair Ties/ Ponytail Holders

Personally I don't use clips because I don't think I need them- would prevent breakage though. As I lazily Bantu knot or twist my sections and use the ties to secure the sections in place.(This helps to stretch my hair ).  Would probably try clips in the future. But right now my hair ties are great.
(∩▂∩): Don't use the ones with iron on them. Will rip your hair strands out!

Your fingers or a Wide tooth comb

I mostly use my fingers because I have a sore scalp. I only use a comb when my hair has been deep conditioned, conditioned and while in the shower-to remove the build up on my hair that has been lifted up by the ACV and to detangle.

Cotton T-shirt instead of a towel

Helps to reduce frizz and retains the moisture after washing hair.

Conclusion

Here you can see I stick with natural products because my hair does not grow out of it/ rebel over it and stop working...... yet. Like it does with store products. Hence I use different conditioners every time I finish a bottle. And I am drawn to products with natural products in them like tea tree, mint, coconut oil, Shea butter and others.

However if you want to go all out. Here is a link to things I think will be very helpful-but you could manage without them. Also I personally don't have most of them.

Remember to Keep It Simple 

Buy


0 Comments