My (Natural) Hair Journey




Now 5 years, since I decided to go natural. All I can say is that it has been a JOURNEY and it was WORTH it!!

So it all begin in Nigeria 2007, I shaved my hair cause I was sick of waiting for my hair to grow longer than my neck length. As being relaxed my hair was neck length, but never grow past that length. And also it was too expensive for me to get my hair done because it was 'too big and thick' even though it was relaxed.

Having a TWA was so easy and I loved it! However I started thinking of growing out my hair. This time I planned to use relaxers carefully to achieve a waist length. Too keep the story short, that didn't work, got my hair badly burned, not only on the first relaxer I used, but also on the last one. From then on I was done with relaxers!

From Left to Right. Badly relaxed. Thread styles.


I remember vividly, my hair stylist in Gwagwalada market, Nigeria -who did my thread hairstyles to grow out my hair-saying that I didn't need relaxers, as it was a waste of money and time.That I should grow my 'virgin' hair out. I thought she was crazy!! But looking back I thank her so much for putting that idea into my head.

Moving to the UK, changed my perception on things, like my identity and  my ideas on life. ( I think I was going through an identity crisis) I started asking myself why wasn't I proud of my hair that God had given to me. So I gave it a go! I told my mum at the age of 13 in 2009, that I didn't want to use relaxers on my hair anymore. That I wanted to see how my natural hair grew and see how I can take care of it. And if I didn't like it, I will give relaxers another go......






   

                                 



Well we can see I never went back.  So I slowly transitioned onto where I am today!
                                                          Hair Nappy, but I'm Happy.....



0 Comments