My Hair Profile

United Kingdom

I thought it would be a good idea to give you all a (quick) summary of my hair, in the form of a "Hair Profile"

First off, I have LOW porosity hair.  This means it is very hard for my hair to absorb water, oil and hair products This leads to quicker product build-up with my hair. [ Link for more inform]. I truly wish I knew about this when I first want natural, as it would have helped me with hair product selection and what hair techniques would best suit my hair. For example, using coconut oil WITHOUT heat will result in a white cast on my hair as the coconut oil has solidified and is just sitting on my hair strands. This also leads to my scalp being irritated! So I only use coconut oil as a hot oil treatment, which my har loves! My hair also loves a range of oils from black castor oil to sweet almond oil.

In terms of thickness and density, I have noticed my hair is thicker at the base of my head and thins out at the end. I think this is normal? But I believe if I trimmed my hair more regularly, this could help with this issue. FYI: I'm terrified of trimming my hair... I don't know why!

I have tried Avocado and even coconut water. And when I thought all hope was lost, I stumbled on Honey. I have tried both Manuka Honey ($$$) and regular honey. And both were excellent deep conditioners that I used once in a while.  Along with my deep conditioner, my hair loves the greenhouse effect. This is when you cover your hair with a plastic cap... or in my case an old Tesco bag. I either leave this overnight (rarely done) or I sit under a hooded hair dryer for an hour or go about my chores. This generates heat. This helps my low porosity hair to absorb the oils and moisture while sweating my scalp out ( this will help for an easy shampooing). Yes, I deep condition before I shampoo. I think I started doing this method because I hate spending too long in the shower. And this method works for me.

LCO, LOC or LO I have tried them all. But found LCO to be the most effective especially for my low porosity hair.  I have 2 different methods for my LCO. If I want my hair to be "fluffy" and lightweight. L stands for Liquid as in Water. C stands for leave-in Conditioner lol. And O stands for Oil.  And for the colder months. L stands for Leave-in conditioner C stands for Cream like shea butter wiped cream. O stands for Oil.

For the past 10 years of being natural, I did not do too much with my hair. I chose easy to do hairstyles that never put any strain on my hair especially on my edges. Also, I could not leave my hair out in all it's glory, especially when you live a country where it's horrible weather does not allow you to shine! 😭 I think this could have helped with my hair growth because I just left my hair alone!

And finally, whenever my twist out, braid out or flat twists don't come out right. I just put it in a high bun, low bun or any protective hairstyles- I lightly spritz my hair with water and cover with a silk/satin scarf. And the next morning take the scarf off and carry on with my day.

Well, I am still learning things about my hair every day!  This is all that I have learnt so far. 😅

In the comment below, let me know if you are Protein sensitive like me or have any similar characteristics like me :)





0 Comments